Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Couple Random Thoughts

So my Dad and I were driving around the other day and we noticed many more people running/biking/jogging/walking/hobbling along the road than usual. We came to the conclusion that they are "Olympians." Many people have been encouraged by the feats of athleticism at the recent Olympic events and are in turn motivated to give getting in shape another go. This of course is a great side-effect. I just wish more people stopped "forcing" themselves to be healthy and actually enjoyed it. The faces people make when they run border between hilarious and pitiful. But I can sympathize I have never been a runner, but now I'm a jumper!

Also on the topic of Olympians it really upsets me that any one of them would take any amount of money to be in an ad for McDonald's. All the good they do for the world by being a fitness example is shot down when they make people think they not only eat McDonald's but that they enjoy it and it is food of "Olympians." Gimme a break they should be ashamed.

And finally Usain Bolt is crazy. They man could chase down a gazelle, seriously.

He could.

So I tried the "official" boxing jump today, It's when you basically run in place and for every step of a foot the rope passes under. I tell you what, it is WAY easier to get winded like that. Your arms have to go twice as fast to keep up but once you get the rhythm it's much harder to trip over the rope and you can do many in a row no problem. The problem is I don't have the cardio skills to do sets of 100 I start to get winded around 50. It's a goal of mine to work up to that slowly though.

Anyway I'm off for my night tea. Have a good night everyone.

Seriously though, he could catch a Gazelle and kill it, with his teeth. 

Like a cheetah.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I have to confess I was not really into the Olympics but I agree that people were really INTO this year's olympics like I haven't seen it before. I don't get the McDonald's sponsorship of the Olympics either, but then again Michael Phelps eats 10,000 calories a day, so who cares if 300 of them come from an egg mcmuffin?

You are going to be like Rocky with all that boxer-style jumproping!

Nate said...

Thanks Amy. You know what someone some day in the future should pick Rocky as their PCP hero!

Adrian and Emiko said...

It's funny that you both mention Rocky, because he was one of my choices before starting PCP. Here's something I've heard a lot: "Yo Adriaaaaaaaaaannnn!"

-A

Patrick said...

Yes, the only thing that makes me crazier than seeing a large 20 oz. McDonalds cola in a cup featuring a gymnast with 4% body fat is a cigarette ad with some totally healthy dude doing something like surfing or herding cattle which requires a ton of lung capacity.

Tim said...

Usain Bolt can nearly run as fast as Wile E. Coyote!!