Tuesday, September 16, 2008

PARKOUR HEROS: The Ladies of Parkour

So I have been chatting with Adrian and Emiko a bit about PK. And not only Adrian is super enthused about PK but Emiko is too. So I thought it would be sweet to post some clips I have found about PK and the women who are really amazing and deserve a ton of respect for what they do.

Females are definitely the minority among traceurs, most likely for general interest and also because women naturally lack a lot of the upper body strength required without, of course, the proper training. They faces some pros and cons though in my opinion.

CONS: Lack a certain level of natural strength and speed. Also girls are generally shorter and have weaker grips. A number of other things can be frustrating, long hair, not wanting to get calloused hands, and I would definitely be less inclined to want to run and jump everywhere if I had boobs.

PROS: I feel women have naturally better balance, dexterity, and flexibility. Also once the proper strength is achieved you can have an easier job of somethings, less shock on joints from a smaller frame/weight, and since most girls are smaller than most guys you can fit under rails and through gaps that we can get into. 

Despite any pros and cons girls that practice are undoubtedly awesome and deserve a ton of respect. Hopefully we will see more in the years to come. Below are 2 videos on of Karen Palmer who talks a lot of what PK means and how it's so awesome, also about training and how the metal achievement is just as great as the physical one. And another of Kat from the Urban Monkeys crew in Mexico.

Enjoy and have a good one I hope the weather is just as beautiful as it is here!




7 comments:

Tim said...

The weather here is just beautiful too ...... with the typhoon out to the south-west now pointing straight at us, ETA Saturday (although there is so much doubt about the track it will take, we may not get a direct hit). I actually enjoy the storms!!

Em's Mum said...

Thanks for sharing the videos, Nate! At first, I thought you were talking about par course, which this is clearly not--much more exciting.

Looks like a spin-off sport for gymnasts. Emiko did years of gymnastics in her younger youth and I could totally see her doing Parkor. It might answer those cravings I know she's had for years to get back into gymnastics. Cartwheels were a primary mode of locomotion in preschool, and she lusted after trapezes. She was the kid walking on top of the 12-foot high playground structure at 7 (I wasn't worried--she had great balance) and any railing she could find in the environment. Good gripping skills (not many face plants doing those bars). Over the years with lots of practice, she got pretty good at the upper body strength and mental attitude needed for all that practice & competition, too.

maki said...

Hi Nate - Thanks for leaving your comment on my blog. Interesting videos. I'll watch them more in details once I catch up to your level of stamina (which may be a long time from now but...) At the moment, I'm struggling as it is in week 2!

Nate said...

Em's mum - Thanks for commenting! Parkour certainly involves elements of gymnastics, free-running even more so with flips and other "decorative" moves. But it's concept is entirely different. Kind of like how soccer involves running, just like football does too. But in one sport you can only use your legs, the other your legs aren't used for much other than standing or running. What I'm getting at is they have certain elements and some specific movements can be broken down to gymnastics moves, but they are only components of a much larger goal. Getting from point a to point b as efficiently as possible. That's really cool Emiko did all of that I'm sure it will help a ton! I lack the gymnastics training I need and have to go pursue that somewhere.

Maki - Your welcome! And once you get over week 2 it starts getting easier, at least with stamina. The first 30 days are hard though make no mistake but hang in there you are doing great!

Adrian and Emiko said...

Nate, these ladies are amazing! Thanks for posting the videos. Inspiration for the beginner's Parkour class coming up next week...

-E

Amy said...

I really like the style of the second video, she seems a lot smoother and faster, too.

Nate said...

I agree amy Kat is much more advanced than Karen.