Wednesday, October 1, 2008

PARKOUR HEROS: David Belle

So this is the last of my PK heros post that I am going to do. I figured since David Belle is the hero I chose to work towards for the PCP he deserved 2 posts. In this post I'm gonna show you a little bit about PK and how it's not always safe. And it is certainly not easy. 

For everyone out there new to PK or those that think it's just the next dare-devil risky thing to do beware of stupid videos online of kids just "tricking" that have no training or discipline. 

Parkour CAN be dangerous.

But everyone who takes it's seriously knows that you never do anything that you do not think you can do. And the second you do something that you feel uncomfortable doing that's when you get hurt. Naturally you get all sorts of bumps and bruises all the time but we are talking injuries. As you will see in one of the videos below even David Belle and fall sometimes. 

So please be careful if you are going to practice PK and work at YOUR OWN PACE. Never someone else's. PK and Free-running are trying so hard to gain a strong footing and a good reputation we don't need people breaking or killing themselves because they were stupid and then PK gets a bad rep. 

The other video is from a movie he did. The videos of David Belle are sadly in short supply, especially because so man of the interviews are in french. But I still think it's awesome what he did in that movie and the stunt work involved. You saw in previous posts how he does quality real life PK. So enjoy the bit of entertainment.

So enjoy the videos and learning from David Belle as I have. His years, no decades really, of practice allows him to jump building to building, and I'm sure it also helps him fall better and recover from injury. Go slow, have fun, do PK.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are deffinately right about going at your own pace. I have alot of trouble with footing because I have a bad ankle and I get really nervous about making it worse or just being able to support myself on it after a jump. I know you've seen me back down from some pretty simple jumps because of that. I get really motivated for parkour in the winter time because of all the snow making a wonderful cushion.

Adrian and Emiko said...

OUCH!

-A

Nate said...

A - tell me about it!

Jason - Ya I know what you mean. It's one of those injuries I think oyu have to work through. I still am nervous about my left arm since I broke it and just doing the movements over and over is important. That why for Pk you could spend 3 hours jumping 2 feet back a forth just to get the movement that ingrained.